10 Steps to Develop Great Learners
Visible Learning for Parents
- John Allan Hattie - The University of Melbourne, Australia
- Kyle Hattie
Decision Making Tools | Resources for Parents
What can parents and caregivers do to ensure their children develop great learning habits that will help them achieve their maximum at school and in life? This is probably one of the most important questions any parent can ask, and now John Hattie, one of the most respected and renowned education researchers in the world, draws on his globally famous Visible Learning research to provide some answers.
Writing this book with his son Kyle, himself a respected teacher, the Hatties offer a 10-step plan to nurture curiosity and intellect and provide a home environment that encourages and values learning. These simple steps, based on the strongest of research evidence and packed full of practical advice, can be followed by any parent or caregiver to support and enhance learning and maximize the potential of their children. Areas covered include:
- Communicating effectively with teachers
- Being the ‘first learner’ and demonstrating openness to new ideas and thinking
- Choosing the right school for your child
- Promoting the ‘language of learning’
- Having appropriately high expectations and understanding the power of feedback
Anyone concerned with the education and development of our children should read this book. For parents, it is an essential guide that could make a vital difference to your child's life. For schools, school leaders, and educators, this is a book you should be encouraging every parent to read to support learning and maximize opportunities for all.