From social media to school success—take student writing to the next level!
Your students may not realize it, but they’re already writers. All those informal text messages, Instagram captions, and Facebook posts have given them skills they can use as a springboard to the formal, content-specific writing they’ll need for success in school, college, and careers.
The key, of course, is practice—plus a little guidance from you. And you’ll be ready, no matter what subject you teach, because this essential reference is packed with relevant, contemporary teaching strategies that are easily customizable to work across content areas. Inside, you’ll find:
- Engaging exercises based in the kinds of writing students already do
- Versatile “parachute writings”—quick bursts of practice to drop into a day’s lesson
- Strategies for introducing academic vocabulary and making it stick
- Skill-boosting strategies for successful summarizing and using textual evidence
- Variations specific to all disciplines and content areas
Students should be writing daily, in all their classes, and they should be writing a lot, both inside and outside school. With this practical guide, you’ll be ready to help them up their writing game—and make literacy relevant, valuable, and authentic.