The Dissertation Journey
A Practical and Comprehensive Guide to Planning, Writing, and Defending Your Dissertation (Updated)
Continuing Professional Development | Decision Making Tools
Correction Notice: Corwin Press made an error when printing the cover for this update. MLA 8 should not be included.
How to reach the pinnacle of academic achievement
The dissertation is a tough mountain to climb; half of all doctoral students never make it to the top. To overcome the practical, social, and psychological obstacles along the way, you need a knowledgeable guide and the right tools. Written in an engaging and motivational style, The Dissertation Journey is a comprehensive how-to guide for graduate students faced with the challenge of developing and writing a quality dissertation. Readers of this new edition will find
- Expanded and updated coverage of crucial topics such as conducting a literature review, dissertation support groups, and harnessing technology to conduct research
- Graphics, quotes, illustrations, progress tracking tools, sample forms, a new chapter-ending resources feature, and other user-friendly elements
- Thoroughly updated and revised chapters with the most current need-to-know information
This clear, practical guidebook will make the journey to “doctor” smoother and help you reach your academic goals.
"The Dissertation Journey has been a valuable read for more than a decade. Dr. Roberts and Dr. Hyatt bring years of doctoral teaching and dissertation advising experience to this essential book."
—Stuart Allen, Professor of Organizational Leadership
Robert Morris University
"This book contains sound academic research advice in an easy to understand and follow format. The book’s benefits extend beyond the dissertation to any subsequent scholarship that the reader undertakes."
—Farzin Madjidi, Associate Dean, Education Division
"The Dissertation Journey has been a valuable read for graduate and doctoral students for more than a decade, providing an accessible and practical guidebook for the journey of research. Dr. Roberts and Dr. Hyatt bring years of doctoral teaching and dissertation advising experience to this essential book. My students’ comments and my own experiences with referring to the book for my dissertation seminars reinforce the value of this highly recommended text."
"This book offers an excellent practical guide for doctoral students working on their dissertations. Dr. Roberts and Dr. Hyatt’s work ensures the student will have a rigorous,yet rewarding dissertation experience. The book contains sound academic research advice in an easy to understand and follow format. The book is thorough and its benefits extend beyond the dissertation to any subsequent scholarship that the reader undertakes."
The book will be used as a supplemental resources for all candidates beginning the dissertation journey.
Comprehensive, yet easy to understand, text on writing the dissertation. I like summaries and resources at the end of each chapter.
excellent resource for my dissertation proposal course
Adopted in one of our RES courses prior to starting their Dissertation Phase
This book is SO good. It provides students with a written version of everything we had worked to develop in the dissertation process.
This edition includes updates of previous topics, as well as new information integral to successfully navigating the dissertation process:
- Every chapter in this edition has been reviewed and revised to offer the reader current information.
- The revisions provided an opportunity to redistribute the material and amalgamate some chapters for greater clarity and utility
- A new section titled Resources is incorporated at the end of the chapters, which includes websites that are useful throughout the course of completing the dissertation.