The phenomenon of global organizations reminds us that cross-cultural management is more prevalent than ever. While it may not be possible to develop in-depth knowledge of all cultures, a person can develop a way of thinking where they integrate culture in all of their deliberations, decisions, and behaviors. Such an approach is transformative and involves adopting a cultural mindset, understanding culture’s power as a frame of reference, and developing a new way of thinking.
The book The Cultural Mindset is based on Dr. Nahavandi’s years of teaching, researching, and consulting with many businesses on cross-cultural issues. Built around a think-know-do model, the text enables readers to adopt a cultural mindset that will effectively guide their thinking and behavior as future managers. Through case studies and self-assessments, the book allows students to develop a broader view of culture that is beyond learning skills and competencies. Additionally, by focusing on culture in general, the book allows readers to address both national cultural issues, such as how to work in another country or manage a multi-national team, and diversity issues, such as the glass ceiling or discrimination in the workplace. The key underlying theme for both topics is how culture, national or group-related, impacts our perspective – what we value, how we think, how we behave, and how we manage people effectively.
Each chapter will include a focus on both informational and transformational learning through:
- Cases and examples that will question assumptions and emphasize applicability
- Self-assessments to make the concepts personal and relevant, and encourage self-reflection
- Examples to help students understand those concepts
- Specific exercises and/or reflections to help students apply information to their own personal and professional life
SAGE edge for instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students with:
· a password-protected site for complete and protected access to all text-specific instructor resources;
· instructor manual that provides sample course syllabi, guidelines for end of chapter activities, and additional support materials for each chapter;
· editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course