The Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers
- Johnny Saldana - Arizona State University, USA
Qualitative Research (General) | Qualitative Software | Sociological Research Methods
“Especially useful for utilization in higher education, administrative research, general development, the arts, social sciences, nursing, business, and health care. That may seem like a vast application, but both students and professionals will appreciate the clarity and the emblematic mentorship this book provides.” – American Journal of Qualitative Research
This invaluable manual from world-renowned expert Johnny Saldaña illuminates the process of qualitative coding and provides clear, insightful guidance for qualitative researchers at all levels. The fourth edition includes a range of updates that build upon the huge success of the previous editions:
- A structural reformat has increased accessibility; the 3 sections from the previous edition are now spread over 15 chapters for easier sectional reference
- There are two new first cycle coding methods join the 33 others in the collection: Metaphor Coding and Themeing the Data: Categorically
- Includes a brand new companion website with links to SAGE journal articles, sample transcripts, links to CAQDAS sites, student exercises, links to video and digital content
- Analytic software screenshots and academic references have been updated, alongside several new figures added throughout the manual
Saldana presents a range of coding options with advantages and disadvantages to help researchers to choose the most appropriate approach for their project, reinforcing their perspective with real world examples, used to show step-by-step processes and to demonstrate important skills.
This book will be of particular help to PhD students rather than masters.
This will be of particular help to PhD students rather than Masters
Great update to the third addition.
This is a great resource for qualitative researchers of all levels. It gives clear details on different ways to code, it gives clear examples, and there are citations of others who have used that type of coding. It is great for use in the methods section of articles. It is also valuable for introducing graduate students different ways to code. It is an indispensable resource.
Excellent resource for learning how to analyze qualitative data.
great for students to see differing coding methods
This is a fantastic resource to both novice and expert researchers especially to people who are interested in undertaking qualitative research. This comprehensive book teaches readers how to code and analyse the qualitative data in a simple and effective way.
This is essential reading for the degree students undergoing qualitative research.
Excellent resource - will be recommending this across a range of research modules