'Although there are many resources for building administrators to learn models and implementation issues for quality professional development, few I've seen have compiled as handy a resource as this one' - Karla Reiss, Founder, Consultant, and Coach, The Change Place; Professional Coaching and Consulting for Work and Life Transformation
Nurture teacher development through focused and realistic approaches!
Although school administrators consider supporting and sustaining teachers' professional development a priority, more pressing day-to-day imperatives often eclipse this goal. Supporting and Sustaining Teachers' Professional Development specifically targets busy headteachers who want practical suggestions for how to balance these everyday administrative tasks with encouraging teacher's professional growth.
Focusing on seven questions selected for their relevance to school administrators, this essential reference summarizes the practical implications of the latest research and theory on the topic of teacher development. New, experienced, and aspiring school leaders will learn how to:
- Emphasize research and practice
- Provide rationales that explain and justify the encouragement of professional development
- Link teachers' professional development to student learning
- Interpret national standards for professional development and practically apply them
- Improve student achievement, retain highly qualified teachers, and ground school practices in sound research by learning how to encourage your teachers while remaining committed to your leadership responsibilities.