'This third edition of Sport and Society, with contributions from some of the field’s most highly respected scholars, covers the myriad of complex, pervasive and global issues confronting sport in the 21st century. It continues to be a foundation text for students across most sport disciplines'
- Russel Hoye, La Trobe University, Australia
‘The third edition of Sport and Society reinforces its place as one of the most valuable texts for students and others engaging in social scientific study of sport. Overall, the book continues to achieve an unrivalled balance between different social science disciplines that have been applied to sport; between local, national and international issues; and between broad overviews and specific detail on every topic. The end result is a book that is "a must" on many academic reading lists!'
- Iain Lindsey, Durham University, UK
Fully updated and revised, the Third Edition of Barrie Houlihan and Dominic Malcolm's ground-breaking Sport and Society provides students and instructors with a one-stop text that is comprehensive, accessible, international, and engaging. This popular book:
- Approaches the study of sport from a multi-disciplinary perspective
- Presents the importance of social structure, power, and inequality in analysing the nature and significance of sport in society
- Addresses the rapid commercialization and regulation of sport
- Engages in comparative analysis to understand problems clearly and produce sound solutions
- Expands students' knowledge through chapter summaries, guides to further reading, and extensive bibliographies
- Offers five new chapters addressing the key contemporary issues of: lifestyle sport; sport for development and peace; the governance of international sport organisations; sports fandom; and sport in East Asia.