The authors are proud sponsors of the 2020 SAGE Keith Roberts Teaching Innovations Award—enabling graduate students and early career faculty to attend the annual ASA pre-conference teaching and learning workshop.
Wake up your social problems classes! Social Problems: Sociology in Action helps your students learn sociology by doing sociology.
Social Problems: Sociology in Action will inspire your students to do sociology through real-world activities designed to increase learning, retention, and engagement with course material. Inspired by the best-selling introductory sociology text, Sociology in Action, this innovative new book immerses students in an active learning experience that emphasizes hands-on work, application, and learning by example as they grapple with the causes and consequences of social problems as well as possible solutions. Each chapter explains key concepts and theories in social problems and pairs that foundational coverage with a series of carefully developed learning activities and thought-provoking questions. The comprehensive Activity Guide that accompanies the text provides everything you need to assign, carry out, and assess the activities that will best engage your students, fit the format of your course, and meet your course goals.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more! Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the print version. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-0718-1352-2.
SAGE Premium Video
Included in the Interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Preview a video on social stratification.
FREE! Easily import high-quality content, such as SAGE Stats Data Activities, into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources, including online practice quizzes to help students test their understanding of key chapter concepts. See how your students benefit.
SAGE Lecture Spark
Designed to save you time and ignite student engagement, these free weekly lecture launchers focus on current event topics tied to key concepts in Sociology. Access this week’s topic.
Instructor Teaching Site
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS).* Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE Edge.
SAGE Coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Diagnostic chapter quizzes that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want—includes exclusive access to Doing Sociology activities not available in the print book
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE Coursepacks) that is curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to diverse learners, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Animated concept videos, as well as licensed AP news clips
- Interactive data maps that help students take a closer look at the data presented in the print text and display additional data not found in the corresponding text maps
- Activity Guide that details all Confronting Social Problems activities from the print book, as well as supplementary exercises not included in the print book; each activity is aligned with a learning objective and includes notes to instructors
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this anywhere, anytime, mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- All tables and figures from the textbook
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- eQuizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus attention
- Chapter learning objectives that reinforce the most important material