Keeping students up to date on timely policy issues can be challenging given the range of issues, changing administrations, and the volatile political economy. Furthermore, finding readings that are student friendly, accessible, and current can be an even greater challenge. Now CQ Researcher, CQ Press and SAGE have teamed up to provide a unique selection of articles focused on social policy, specifically for courses in Social Welfare Policy and Social Policy. This collection aims to promote in-depth discussion, facilitate further research, and help students formulate their own positions on crucial issues. This volume includes eighteen up-to-date reports by CQ Researcher, an award-winning weekly policy brief that brings complicated issues down to earth. Each report chronicles and analyzes executive, legislative, and judicial activities at all levels of government. This collection was carefully crafted to cover a range of issues from the aging population, to women's rights, the welfare system, the Trump Presidency, and much more. All in all, this reader will help your students become better versed on current policy issues and gain a deeper, more critical perspective of timely and important issues.
HEALTH CARE SECTOR
1. Health Care: Will the Affordable Care Act Survive?
2. Aging Population: Can the U.S. Support its Growing Ranks of Elderly?
SAFETY NET SECTOR
3. Domestic Poverty: Can Stricter Work Mandates Reduce the Poverty Rate?
4. Poverty and Homelessness: Will the Trump Budget Slash Programs for the Needy?
MENTAL HEALTH AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE SECTOR
5. Loneliness and Social Isolation: Do they Pose a Growing Health Epidemic?
6. Opioid Addiction: Will New strategies Be effective?
CHILD AND FAMILY SECTOR
7. Foster Care: Can the System Handle Soaring Demand?
8. Education Funding: Should States Increase Funding for Public Schools?
9. Affirmative Action and College Admissions: Should Racial and Ethnic Preferences Continue?
10. Immigration: Will Trump Succeed in Blocking Undocumented Immigrants?
11. Immigrant Detention: Is the System Too Harsh?
CRIMINAL JUSTICE SECTOR
12. Crime and Policing: Will President Trump’s Policies Reduce Crime?
13. For-Profit Prisons: Should Companies Be in the Incarceration Business?
14. Gun Violence: Have Efforts to Control Firearms Reached a Turning Point?
INDIVIDUAL AND GLOBAL RIGHTS
15. LGBT Rights: Will the New Supreme Court Nominee Undercut Gay Rights?
16. The STEM Gender Gap: Can Science and Tech Attract More Women?
17. Labor Shortage Debate: Does the Country Need More Workers?
18. Plastic Pollution: Can the Global Mess Be Cleaned Up?