“The text provides a great, general overview of different areas of criminal and civil forensic psychology.”
—Apryl Alexander, PsyD, Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Denver
Written by authors with extensive experience in the field and in the classroom, Introduction to Forensic Psychology: Research and Application, Fifth Edition demonstrates how to analyze psychological knowledge and research findings and then apply these findings to the civil and criminal justice systems. Focusing on research-based forensic practice and practical application, this text uses real-life examples and case law discussions to define and explore forensic psychology. This text introduces students to emerging specializations within forensic psychology, including investigative psychology, family forensic psychology, and police and public safety psychology. Students will develop a multicultural perspective with an ethnic and racial sensitivity, which is critical to the successful practice of forensic psychology.
New to the Fifth Edition:
- Updated statistics, research, and case law, such as recent Aid in Dying legislation, as well as analysis of recent events, help students see the real-world applications to current events.
- Updated Focus boxes empower students to dig deeper into current issues, such as mental health courts, community-oriented policing, child abduction, hate crimes, the death penalty, and more. All Focus boxes also contain discussion questions for students to debate in a classroom setting.
- All new From My Perspective boxes provide students with information about career choices as well as helpful advice about pursuing their goals.
- Increased attention to immigration-related issues offers students additional insights into immigration proceedings and ways to consult with the courts.
- Additional coverage of human trafficking and online sexual predators enables students to better understand the psychological effects on victims and the services available to help.
- Current research on violent video games, cyberbullying, and cyberstalking provides real examples of the effects of violent media.
- New research on juveniles allows students to see the important contributions of neuropsychologists, particularly in terms of brain development in adolescents and promising community-based treatment approaches for juveniles.
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Learn more at edge.sagepub.com/bartol5e.
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
· Microsoft® Word Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
· Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses
· Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
· Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter is included.
· Lecture notes summarize key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
· “From My Perspective” Essays feature profiles of professionals who work in forensic psychology.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
· Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
· Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
· A customized online action plan includes tips and feedback on progress through the course and materials, which allows students to individualize their learning experience.· Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter is included.