Essentials of Mental Health Nursing
- Karen Wright - University of Central Lancashire, UK
- Mick McKeown - University of Central Lancashire, UK
Community / Public Health Nursing | Mental Health Nursing | Nursing
This ground-breaking textbook gathers contributions from service users, expert practitioners and leading academics to help students develop the core knowledge and skills they need to qualify as mental health nurses. Focusing in particular on helping students apply person-centred, compassionate and recovery-focused care, service-user voices and practical case studies are integrated throughout the book. Students are also given a rounded understanding of the key debates they will face in practice through the exploration of both bio-medical and psycho-social approaches.
Key features include:
- Voices and case studies from real practising nurses and students help students apply knowledge to practice.
- Critical thinking activities, debates, and ‘What’s the Evidence’ summaries help students develop higher level critical thinking and evidence based practice skills. Further reading and free SAGE journal articles facilitate independent learning.
- Online Multiple-Choice Quizzes and Flashcards make revision simple and fun.
- The free interactive ebook gives students the freedom to learn anywhere!
- Online resources: free quizzes, case studies, SAGE journal articles and more, which can be used for flipped classroom activities to make teaching more interactive.
Although aimed at MH nursing students/nurses it is also a valuable and accessible resource for adult nursing students/nurses. It has a very modern feel, with a welcome focus on service user led approaches, including recovery and peer support.
This book provides a sound basis for trainee mental health nurses offering clear connections between theory and practice. The inclusion of online resources, reflection points and opportunities for students to critically debate also provides the student with directed study beyond the classroom.
materials link well with our assessments
A thorough text book covering all bases and easy for students to access
Finally - a text that converses meaningfully with all important aspects of mental health nursing. This text considers all essential and contemporary issues within today's mental health nursing care delivery. The chapters have been penned by authors relevant to the areas for discussion which adds extra kudos. I was also particularly impressed with the chosen list of reviewers for this text before it was introduced to general circulation, as this ensured it covered all aspects appropriate to its future readership. Well done to all involved in this publication.