Doing Interview Research
The Essential How To Guide
- Uwe Flick - Freie Universtität Berlin, Germany
Interviewing | Qualitative Research (General)
If you want to use interview methods in your research project but are not sure where to start, this book will get you up and running. With hands-on advice for every stage of the social research process, it helps you succeed in every step, from understanding interview research through to designing and conducting your study and working with data.
- Discusses eight methods of interviewing in-depth, including semi-structured interviews, narrative interviews, focus groups and online interviews.
- Features over 75 case studies of real interview research from across the globe, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Norway, the Philippines and South Africa.
- Spotlights strategies for conducting ethical, inclusive research, including indigenous research approaches.
Packed not only with learning features - including learning objectives, checklists of questions to ask yourself at every stage of your project, practical exercises to help you put your learning into practice and further reading so you can broaden your knowledge - it is also supported by online resources such as annotated transcripts and videos of mock interviews to empower any social science student to use interview research methods with confidence.
Instructor Resources (Log-in needed)
- A test bank of multiple choice questions for directed learning or assessment purposes.
- Downloadable PowerPoint slides that you can customise to suit your teaching needs.
Student Resources (Free to access)
- Case studies of interview research in the real world.
- Example annotated and coded interview transcripts from author Uwe Flick.
- Journal articles and book chapters showing you how interview research is done at each step of the process.
- Videos hand-picked by Uwe give you insight into different aspects of interview research
- Weblinks to helpful sites, guidelines, software and more.
Really solid resource with lots of how to tips
A helpful text for students exploring methodological options and conducting interviews of various kinds. The range of approaches covered assists student researchers to make appropriate decisions and to justify their methodological choices well.
Essential guidance for students undertaking research based modules