The authors are proud sponsors of the 2020 SAGE Keith Roberts Teaching Innovations Award—enabling graduate students and early career faculty to attend the annual ASA pre-conference teaching and learning workshop.What key social forces construct and transform our lives as individuals and as members of society? How does our social world shape us? How do we shape our world?
Discover Sociology presents sociology as a discipline of curious minds. The authors inspire curiosity about the social world and empower students by providing the theoretical, conceptual, and empirical tools they need to understand, analyze, and even change the world in which they live.
Organized around four main themes—The Sociological Imagination, Power and Inequality, Technological Transformations of Society, and Globalization—the book illuminates the social roots of diverse phenomena and institutions, ranging from poverty and deviance to capitalism and the nuclear family. "Behind the Numbers" features illustrate the practical side of sociology and shows students how to be critical consumers of social science data reported in the media. And every chapter addresses the question, “What can I do with a sociology degree?” by linking the knowledge and skills acquired through studying sociology with specific jobs and career paths.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Vantage Digital Option
Engage, Learn, Soar with SAGE Vantage, an intuitive digital platform that delivers Discover Sociology, Fourth Edition textbook content in a learning experience carefully designed to ignite student engagement and drive critical thinking. Built with you and your students in mind, it offers easy course set-up and enables students to better prepare for class. Contact your rep to learn more.
SAGE Premium Video
Included in SAGE Vantage! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Learn more.
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
SAGE course outcomes: Measure Results, Track Success
Outlined in your text and mapped to chapter learning objectives, SAGE course outcomes are crafted with specific course outcomes in mind and vetted by advisors in the field. See how SAGE course outcomes tie in with this book’s chapter-level objectives at edge.sagepub.com/Chambliss4e.
FREE POSTER: Tips from Sociology for Argument and Debate in a Civil Society
SAGE Edge for students enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and are curated and produced exclusively for this text;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts;
- eQuizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention;
- chapter summaries with learning objectives that reinforce the most important material;
- chapter-specific study questions that allow students to engage with the material;
- exclusive access to influential SAGE journal and reference content that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning; and exercises and meaningful Web links that facilitate student use of Internet resources, further exploration of topics, and responses to critical thinking questions.
Instructors: SAGE Coursepacks and SAGE Edge online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE Coursepacks for instructors makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE Edge.
With SAGE Coursepacks, you get:
- quality textbook content delivered directly into your LMS;
- an intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort;
- assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, including:
- diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided;
- assignable SAGE Premium Video (available on the SAGE vantage platform, linked through SAGE Coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and are curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Videos include animated concept videos, as well as licensed AP news clips
- links to exceptional teaching resources from ASA’s TRAILS (Teaching Resources and Innovation Library for Sociology);
- MCAT Guide maps chapter content to Foundational Concepts and Content Categories in Section 3 of the MCAT test;
- assignable data exercises help students build essential data literacy skills using interactive data visualization tools from SAGE Stats;
- chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content;
- exclusive SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties influential research and scholarship to chapter concepts;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch;
- sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course to your exact needs;
- lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions;
- all tables and figures from the textbook; and
- SAGE course outcomes help you track and measure student success. Crafted with specific course outcomes in mind and vetted by advisors in the field, SAGE course outcomes clearly define and benchmark the knowledge and skills students are expected to achieve upon completion of your course. See how outcomes tie in with this book’s chapter-level objectives.