Qualitative Research Methods
- Monique Hennink - Emory University, USA
- Inge Hutter - Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Ajay Bailey - University of Utrecht, Netherlands
Practical and straightforward, this book is a multidisciplinary introduction to the process of planning, conducting and analysing qualitative research, from selecting appropriate methods to publishing your findings. Built around the authors’ Qualitative Research Cycle – consisting of the design, data collection and analytic cycles – this pragmatic guide clearly demonstrates the steps you need to take to ensure your research is rigorous and robust.
Drawing on decades of experience teaching workshops, the book is packed with techniques and tools to help you turn theory and method into research practice. This second edition:
- Showcases the importance of linking research design to data analysis, helping you avoid potential pitfalls and get the most out of your data
- Highlights the relevance and wide application of qualitative methods with an array of international examples of real field research and interdisciplinary case studies
- Gives clear guidance on writing qualitative research, including how to respond to critiques of qualitative methods
- Has a renewed focus on evaluating quality in qualitative research, ensuring your work is valid, reflexive and ethical
Offering tried and tested research tools like interview guides that you can apply to your own projects and supported by online resources including checklists and reflective questions, this book is the perfect companion for anyone looking to complete a successful project using qualitative research methods.
Good information in the book
Great book for a beginners course (bachelor students).
Whilst I looked at this for UG students my PGR students have found this really helpful, particularly if been a while since in study.
This book presents really clear and useful information about qualitative research methods and methodologies in a contemporary world. The contents are nicely laid out and the discussions throughout are clear and thorough. I will highly recommend this book to students, academics and professionals. A must have book in qualitative research.
This text represents a current perspective on qualitative research methods to complement classic and seminal texts. A very useful text at L6 and L7, thank you.
This is well-written and easily accessible book, which will be of great benefit to my doctoral students as consider how to approach their projects. The information included is both practical as well as thought-provoking, and the inclusion of case studies, exercises and relevant reference lists, will be of great help in developing the students' skills and understanding of how to get the best out of their research.